These last couple nights have been so challenging, as David hasn't gone to sleep until around 5:00 in the morning. I knew to expect him to be up during the night, I just didn't expect it to be ALL night. So Matt and I have been going to sleep around 5:00, then sleeping in until 10:00. Any advise/suggestions anyone?
Diapers
The diapers have been interesting to get used to. He was having lots of leaks, and finally we realized we weren't putting them on tight enough. He is just so fragile I didn't want them on too tight. Well, we learned. With our limited supply of sleepers, it is important to limit the number of leaks as much as possible. By the way, if any of you come across diaper coupons, please pass them our way (especially Pampers)!
Happy Birthday Matt!
Today is Matt's birthday, but I was so exhausted I forgot until Matt went down and opened a box that came in the mail - it was his birthday present.
Thursday, April 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Hi Lisa! I totally understand, those first weeks are so tough. I have learned so much from my experience and my friends I have a lot to say! Here goes.........The video "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" is supposed to be great. Also, it helps if you swaddle him tight within a large, thin sheet (one that he can't push off with his arms), or with the swaddler that you get at Babies R us (I recommend very highly, much safer, and my friends LOVE it). If you can somehow keep him up with bright lights, music and verbal stimulation from 8pm-10/11pm or so, then he will learn to have his long stretch of sleep during the night, giving you a chance for continuous sleep. Don't know if you're nursing...if you are, David can start taking your pumped milk from a bottle around 3/4 weeks. Then, it helps if you go to bed around 8, your hubby gives him a bottle around 10 or whenever and puts him to bed, and then you get up with him in the middle of night to nurse. Then both you and your hubby get a stretch of sleep and you don't get psycho (like I did!). I'd be happy to drop off a meal or a swaddler for you! Please email me your address at alushine@yahoo.com, if you have time. I'd love to do it! Blessings, Amy
Hey Lisa --
Do you need some sleepers? Ed has, like, two dozen and I am not exaggerating. I would be delighted to drop some off for you (they are used, but in good condition!). Also I will try to round up some Pampers coupons. Also make sure you point his little boy-part DOWN right before you put the tabs on -- it took us a whole week to learn how to do that right!
Sleeping: find out what works and go to that extreme. Joel used to take Lucy for a drive in the middle of the night because the movement would put her to sleep. He still talks fondly of their "midnight drives". Otherwise, just take turns, it DOES get better. Good advice about the swaddling; that can help. We used the waffle-knit baby blankets (did you get any of those?) to swaddle -- they are stretchy and thin enough to do the trick. Lisa, feel free to email me: megrgronau@yahoo.com
Hey Lisa -
Did you ever get the book I told you about - Babywise - ? It helped me A LOT in the early weeks and months. Quick & easy to read, too. Keep in sight that the sleeping part does get better. My little peanut was sleeping through the night at 8 weeks. Again, read Babywise to find out how I helped make that happen. I'll be thinking about you! Good luck!
Okay - more. I just read Meg's comments. I do not recommend getting in the habit of driving him around at midnight to help him sleep. HE CAN LEARN TO SLEEP ALL ON HIS OWN. (Sorry, Meg.) We would always wake Owen up if he slept more than three hours consecutively during the day, so he can eventually learn to get his long stretch during the night. Sometimes it is hard to wake them, but take his clothes off, give him a bath or do whatever to make sure he has some awake time throughout the day. Again, I defer to reading Babywise. Hey Lisa - Have I mentioned to read Babywise? haha
The TIGHT swaddling IS THE KEY! Don't worry about cutting off the blood circulation ~ you won't. Actually, the tighter the better! The evenings my husband would get up to help with the boys they would sleep a lot longer. Why? Because he seriously wrapped them up SO tight. Remember, before babies are born there is not a lot of room inside the mother. They love the security of being in close, tight places. Something else my husband and I would do is roll up an extra blanket or use a baby pillow at the top of the crib. This way we could butt the baby's head up really close into the blanket or pillow. They like the added security of having something against the top of their head ~ just like it was inside mom.
Post a Comment