Friday, May 04, 2007

A less-than-perfect night

I came home from work last night to Matt working hard on a wonderful meal … and to a son with a fever of 101.4. I held him as he cried while Matt finished supper, then Matt and I took turns holding him as we ate our supper (all while David was screaming in pain), then I tried to cool him off with a bath (that worked). After the bath we held him on the couch and watched a Baby Einstein, where he fell asleep … but woke up the minute we got up. We finally got David to bed around 9:00, at which time Matt and I just wanted to watch a TV show and get the night over with. So that was our anniversary in a nutshell.

The Good News
David only woke up once during the night – and Matt and I had expected him to wake up every hour as in the past when he had a high fever. During the night his fever got up to 102, but this morning it was down to 99.5. There are no other symptoms that we can tell, so we are hoping it was just a one-time thing and he will be better now.

Our Unwelcome Guests
There is a squirrel that has been visiting our deck for months. He absolutely loves the birdseed. It was cute at first. Sam (our cat) absolutely loves watching him, and David also gets a kick out of it.


However, now the squirrel is bringing friends. We looked outside the other day and saw two squirrels. Okay, it is still sort of cute. But two squirrels caught the attention of the crows that joined the squirrels on our deck.

“Okay, now this is getting out of hand,” Matt said. So Matt went out there with a big stick and scared everything away – for a couple minutes. It’s crazy, Matt had filled the birdfeeder on Wednesday, and by Thursday afternoon it was almost completely empty. But leave it to Matt to come up with an interesting plan – release the cat! Yes, Matt is now letting Sammy out on the deck to scare away all of the creatures. It is a slight risk, as Sam could chase them off the deck (and fall or jump off), but so far, so good.

No comments: