Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Scared of Thunder Storms

David heard the thunder last night and said, "airplane!" I told him it was just thunder. He responded, "see it?" Sure, so I brought him upstairs too look out the window. The room was dark - then BOOM! David held his hands tight to his eyes ... and he wouldn't move. He mumbled, "thunder hurt eyes." I tried comforting him and getting his hands down, but they wouldn't budge.

I gave up watching the thunder and carried David downstairs. He still wouldn't move, holding his hands tight to his eyes. I tried talking to him, but got no response. His breathing became heavy, and he started to sweat. I kept talking to him, praying with him and holding him. He just lay there in my arms, hands over his eyes. This went on for almost an hour. There were times I though he might have fallen asleep, but as soon as I tried to uncover his eyes, he would tense up again. I called Matt a couple times and held the phone to David's ear. Finally he started mumbling something back to Matt.

When the 9:00 news came on, I pointed out to David, "look - you can see the lightning on TV." That must not have been as scary, because he took one hand down - but still covered one eye. We watched the news for a while, and finally the other hand came down.

When I brought David up to get ready for bed - the thunderstorms had mostly passed. He actually wanted to look out the window again, so we opened the shade and watched for about 20 minutes. We talked about the rain and the grass and how God waters the grass. We talked about thunder and lighting. We talked about "beep beep cars" driving through the rain. Finally, he was ready for bed. And that ended the saga of the scary thunder storm.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Wow! What an amazing response. That must have been really scary for YOU to see. Glad he recovered!