Sunday, September 09, 2007

Volunteering with a Politician

I had the privilege of working with the former U.S. Senator Mark Dayton while volunteering in Rushford this weekend. I was never a fan of his, however, I have to give him some credit. He came with one other person and without any media attention, so there was no political gain by volunteering. Yet there he was, getting dirty and working just as hard as anyone else. We talked for a little while, and I was actually impressed at how down-to-earth he was. I am not saying I would ever vote for him, but I have to say it was really nice that he took the time to volunteer in Rushford.

There were five of us working together in a badly damaged home – one of the closest homes to the sewage treatment plant (that was also flooded). The floor was rotting to the point where someone could fall through. Pulling out insulation was like pulling out mud – only it wasn’t mud. Yeah – need I say more?

Another gentleman I was working with was from Rochester. He didn’t have any connection to Rushford or its residents, yet he was there for the second weekend in a row. I thanked him for his work, and he told me why he did it. About 30 years ago his home was flooded, and strangers came to his aid and helped him through the disaster. He was just doing the same –it’s what being a Minnesotan is all about.

No comments: