This may be long ... because I need to vent after this long, long day. David has a bad runny nose, so we decided to stay home from play practice today. I don't know if that was the best idea, since it ended up being David's worst terrible two day yet.
First, let me start by saying that overall David is a great kid. He really isn't a trouble maker, which makes today even worse. I never would have expected it, but yet here I am, beaten and exhausted.
Terror 1: Kleenex
I was cleaning in the kitchen, and David was in the living room. Usually this isn't a problem, because David is playing. However, he decided to take all 200+ tissues out of the kleenex box and scatter them over the living room floor. I wasn't happy, but there are worse things.
Terror 2: Haircut
I cut Matt and David's hair last night. This must have intrigued David. I was putting clothes away in my room, and David was playing in his room. Usually this isn't a problem. It had only been a few minutes when David proudly proclaimed that he was giving the horse a haircut. I went in his room, and found him with a scissor cutting his rocking horse's hair. He must have went into the bathroom and grabbed the scissor out of the drawer. That scissor is now HIGH out of reach. I wasn't quite as upset at this one, because it was slightly funny.
Terror 3: Poop
David had already pooped once this morning, so I wasn't expecting him to go again. I was actually in the living room with him, though at the opposite end. He was really quiet, then I smelled it. I asked him if he pooped. No answer. I asked if he was okay. No answer. I walked over to him and ... David had reached back into his diaper, pulled out a handful of poop, then whipped it on his stepping stool. It was all over him, his clothes, his stool ... it was bad. I managed to clean it all up ... but was slightly frazzled.
Terror 4: Soaked
So I gave David his lunch and started folding clothes. I could see him clearly ... but obviously didn't WATCH him like I should have. He took his sippy cup and should it upside down over himself to drench his clothes - the clean clothes I just put on him. By this time I was mad ... really mad. I took away his sippy cup, changed his clothes, then put him down for a nap so I could cool off.
His nap did wonders, because he woke up a much better kid. At dinner, he held his broccoli out to me and said, "my broccoli needs a haircut." Then he put it in his mouth and bit off the end. That made me laugh.
Then when I was putting David to bed tonight, he started asking me questions about God. The conversation went as followed:
"Are Jesus and God in my room?"
"Yes, they are right here with us," I answered.
"Are they in the rocking chair?"
"Um ... yes. They are everywhere," I assured.
"But I can't see them."
"No, you can't see them, but you can feel them. They are always with you protecting you. Do you want them here with you?"
"Yes," David answered.
"Did you know you can talk to them?" I asked.
"Ah huh."
"You can talk to them anytime."
"Okay," David answered.
This is the simplified version of the conversation. Somewhere in the conversation, David also asked if God takes a shower. I finished our talk with a prayer and kissed him goodnight. Then as I left his room I heard him talking from outside the door. I don't actually know that he was talking to God, because I couldn't hear what he was saying, but it did warm my heart.
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Lisa,
You had what Andy and I call a "real Eric day". Hopefully, you won't have many more!
All that in one day! Good thing he's a cute kid!
Jana
Ohhh I love these stories! They hit so close to home. Sooo... DOES God take a shower? I would venture no... I think.
Hey Lisa, your all4akua email doesn't seem to be working -- can you let me know your email address these days?
Post a Comment