Thursday, October 04, 2007

Where have I been?

1) Turning down a $2000 prize
Yes, my entry on the Explore Minnesota "Make-a-List Contest" got First Place! The prize was a houseboat vacation on Rainy Lake worth over $2000. However, because I could not (and would not) give them exclusive ownership over my photography, I had to turn it down. 3 of the 30 photos I submitted are already used on another Web site. Oh well, at least now we don't have to decide who we are taking on what would have been a 12-person houseboat.

2) Applying for grad school
Last weekend I submitted my application for grad school at the University of Nebraska. They have a journalism program that will allow me to attend classes via a real-time web cast. Now I am busy studying for the GRE, which will definitely be the biggest challenge to getting in.

3) Taking care of a sick toddler
David came down with a cold, then diarrhea, then a fever, and followed by a severe diaper rash. I stayed home from work today to take care of him, although he is doing much better. This morning he woke up as the kid we knew before - smiley and energetic. He still has some diaper issues and a runny nose, but overall he is on the mend.

4) Taking a photojournalism course
Last, but not least, I have been taking a photojournalism course online through the University of Massachusetts. It has been fun and challenging. Finding time to do the photography assignments has been the most challenging, since Matt and I work almost completely opposite hours. That doesn't leave me much time. I have found myself taking off during my lunch hour to find anything suitable for assignments. It is still great learning from a professional, as well as the classmates with whom I communicate through our online discussions.

No comments: